Saturday, August 15, 2015

Journey

I’ve finally finished the first design for my upcoming Autumn/Winter line and I realized just how time consuming it is to actually knit for a business rather than for pleasure (although I am knitting for the shop with pleasure). This experience of trying to start up and run my own business has really taught me a lot about “going with the flow” whether it be in design or life. In the beginning of everything, I have to admit, I had no idea what to do or where to start. Serious doubts always plagued me about the next step to take, how to achieve plan A or plan B, how I’m going to fund the line, so on and so forth. After a while, and I started to take the necessary steps to start, I realized a lot of continuing forward with what I want to do necessitates going with the flow. I realized that I had no say in what was to come, but all I could do is shift, move, compromise in order to make the best of whatever situation I found myself in.





This design started off as an idea for a simple, cable infinity scarf, but I also wanted it to reflect the journey I’m going through, the many crooked and curved pathways resulting in something beautiful. However, as I was researching cable patterns online, I couldn’t really find the “right” one, many were too complicated, too simple, or just didn’t look like it was going to help me make the scarf scarf I was imagining. That’s when I realized that my journey wasn’t just a pattern that anyone can use, it was my very own. The combinations of paths I’ve taken to get to where I am now isn’t made by someone and can’t used by anyone else. The journey of random twists and turns I’ve been taking all along has created something wonderful, and I wanted to celebrate that. Therefore, each and every single “Journey” scarf is created freehand, meaning that I don’t plan the cables beforehand, and simply create one wherever I see fit. This makes each and every scarf special, to reflect how each and every person has their own journey to where they are and where they want to go.




Also, a super quick announcement for anyone interested: I’m currently in the process of creating a new website to host my own shop (I’ll also still be continuing to use Etsy) and am also trying to rebrand, so look forward to more updates coming soon!


Thanks everyone,

Love Mel

2 comments:

  1. I love this design! I've been in love with infinity scarves lately and I love how unique this one looks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Soudha! Really means a lot :)

      Delete